Thursday, June 5, 2014

Tortillas

I know I've not been posting nearly as much.  I'm trying to remedy that because for some reason we've not been cooking much at home.  But finally I'm doing a recipe for a staple in our kitchen.  Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to make tacos but I forgot to get tortillas at the store.  No problem, I had everything that I needed to make them.

I'll go ahead and warn you that this are not perfectly round.  This taught me that I really need to invest in a tortilla press because I can't roll them out thin enough evenly.

First, you're going to need:
2 cups of flour (I used what was left of my unbleached organic AP flour)
2 tbsp of shortening
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt

Add the flour, salt, and powder to the bowl of your stand mixer with your paddle attachment.

Then at your shortening.  You can also do all of this with a pastry cutter (dough blade? Idk what it's called), but I don't have one.

Use your paddle attachment to mix it all together so that the shortening is broken up.

Next, you'll need half a cup of warm water.  Add it slowly until the dough comes together.  I actually had to wind up adding almost an entire cup for it to be right.

Once that's done, wrap it up and let it sit for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, I shaped it into kind of a rectangle.

And cut it into 8 equal-ish pieces.

Roll each of out as thin as you can.

Cook on medium high for 30 seconds on each side.

I'm sorry this picture is fuzzy.

Serve with meat, veggies, cheese, sour cream or whatever you eat your tacos/burritos with.

No comments:

Post a Comment