Monday, June 16, 2014

Cast Iron Oven Steaks

I am so sorry that I've neglected the blog.  Apologies!  It's been busy with the visitation an hour away on Wednesday night, the funeral two-ish hours away on Thursday, my birthday and a cupcake order Friday, a cake order on Saturday, and by Sunday I was too pooped to do anything and my kitchen needed a serious cleaning. 

But no worries!  I have a recipe that I think will make up for it.  Do you like steak?  I know that my husband does.  Moist, tender, medium (medium rare for me).  Unlike my mother, who wants her steaks burnt, grey, and dry.  She's got this thing where she doesn't think meat should have moisture in it (even chicken).  She prefers her meat dry.  Yuck.

First, you're gonna need a good cast iron skillet.  This skillet came from Wal-Mart, but I have another that used to belong to my great-grandma.  We don't really use that one because it's on the small side.

Okay.  So you're going to need:
2tbsp butter
1tsp kosher salt
2tsp garlic powder
1tsp black pepper
1tsp Cajun seasoning
1tsp onion powder

Rub that all over the steaks.  Both sides.

Cover with plastic wrap and let sit until they come to room temperature.

Pop them and the butter in the oven at 325 for 5 minutes on each side (or until desired done-ness is reached).  Move to a plate and cover with foil.  Let them rest for 10 minutes before you cut them. 

I know, I know.  The cast iron is magical and managed to turn the sirloins into a ribeye.  I can explain.  Ha.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished sirloins, so I've been holding onto the pictures for a few weeks, until I fixed another steak. 

I hope you enjoyed this recipe!  What do you use cast iron for?

No comments:

Post a Comment