Thursday, May 1, 2014

Picky Eaters and Zucchini Fries

Sometimes having a picky eater for a husband is like having a picky eating child in the house.  Mine just happens to not really like vegetables.  And I love veggies.  I didn't always, but after working at Subway for 6.5 years, I took my Italian Herb and Cheese bread, pepperjack cheese, turkey, pickles, salt, and mayo to a healthier wheat bread, no cheese, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, green peppers, pickles, jalapenos, banana peppers, light mayo, extra vinegar, pepper, and oregano.  Pretty much everything except cucumbers, olives.  Hubbs was still eating white bread, ham, American cheese, and mayo.

In the last year, I've managed to get him to eat broccoli (which he'll tell you that he's always liked, but he lies), carrots, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, and cooked onions.  I've made some progress.

Well, last night I got him to eat some zucchini, not much, but a little.  That's progress, right?

They were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.  They were delicious.  And super simple.
First, cut yourself up some zucchini.  I had three small ones in the fridge that were getting a little soft.  I didn't get to use all of it because some of the pieces were bad.  Eat zucchini should be cut into about 8 pieces each.
Next, you'll need one bowl with 1 egg and 1/4 cup milk (or whatever you sub if you're vegan) and one bowl with 1 cup of panko, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Dredge the zucchini in the liquid first, then the panko mix.
Next, lay them out of a foiled cookie pan.  I cooked them for 30 minutes at 425 for extra crispiness.  I also sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese before I cooked them.
Once they're done, serve them with whatever you like.  If you saw last night's post with the Potatoes au Gratin, you know I served it last night.
How do you dress up veggies to get a picky eater to enjoy (or at least try) them? Send me your ideas to homemadetohappiness@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment