Thursday, May 29, 2014

Homemade Bread

I meant to post yesterday but I have apparently come down with something and I'm feeling like crap.  Ugh...

I have always wanted to make my own bread instead of buying it in the store.  Mostly being that I am allergic to bread mold and I like to know how long my bread has really been around.  And I like knowing what's in my food.

First you're going to need:
1 cup of warm (105-115 degree) water
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 packet of yeast

Add the water and the sugar to bowl.

Sprinkle it with the yeast and wait 4-5 minutes (I waited 5) for it get all foamy.

You'll need 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

Whisk it in to the yeast mixture.

1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 cup of whole wheat flour

Add in the salt and the whole wheat flour, you'll have to use a wooden spoon to mix it up.

Then started adding in regular AP flour (1 1/2-2 cups), I used 2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour to make it the right consistency.

I used the dough hook on my stand mixer to kneed it, then placed it in a buttered bowl for about an hour until it had doubled in size.

You need to cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and sit it in a warm place.

After the hour is up (save the plastic wrap) dump out the dough and fold it over itself 3 times.

Form it into a log and put it in a greased loaf pan.  Cover it in plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Once it has doubled in size, score the top and bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees.

Wait 30 minutes before slicing.


This bread is delicious.  However, you can taste the salt.  I might add a little less salt next time and see how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment