Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Waiting to Try

If you followed my blog FutureMamaBird for the couple years that I did it, you know already that it is my intention to cloth diaper, cloth wipe, and breastfeed.  Not only are these options better for the environment, they are also better for your wallet.  When breastfeeding, you aren't have to spend money on expensive formula.  When cloth diapering and cloth wiping, you don't have to spend money on expensive disposable diapers and wipes that are by definition just going to be thrown away (don't worry family, we'll most likely send some disposables to you in case you ever watch our little one). 

I always hear people talking about how expensive babies are.  Babies are only as expensive as you make them. Diapers, wipes, and formula are huge expenses.  So are baby clothes.  But you don't need to go out and buy a lot of brand new baby clothes.  The main reason for this is that babies grow fast.  What fit last week may not fit this week.  Hand me downs and thrifted baby clothes are usually the way to go.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm hoping that we'll get a few new outfits for our little one when they arrive. :)

No, we aren't currently pregnant.  But it's going to happen sooner or later.  I want kids.  My Hubbs wants kids.  I want to give my Hubbs' grandfather a chance to see his great-grandchildren before something happens to him.  And the same with my parents as they're about the same age. 

The point in this entry is that in the next few weeks, I'm going to be trying my hand at making some homemade baby items.  I'm gonna start with diapers and diaper covers.  Then on to baby outfits and blankets. 

SPEAKING OF BLANKETS!
I made a baby quilt.  My first ever major project.
It's not perfect and there was a spot that didn't get sewed down right.  But I think I did a good job for my first time trying to make a quilt.  :)  It's going into my baby box along with every other baby thing that I make.

I'm hopefully gonna get my Hubbs to take me to Joann's this weekend to look at some PLU fabric and snaps for the diapers.  :)  We're gonna have an exciting tutorial set coming up in the next week.  I'm gonna tutorial the diapers, a friend is gonna tutorial making wipes, I'm gonna do a quilt tutorial, and definitely some recipe tutorials.

Oh, I almost forgot.  I made a little makeup bag as a gift for a friend's daughter's 15th birthday, so I'm gonna try to tutorial one of those too. It's definitely not perfect but it was my first time sewing on a zipper.  The Hubbs wants me to make him a small bag for work.

On the same topic of saving money, I've been getting most of my fabrics and zippers from We Care, our local thrift store.  The zippers are only a nickel each and it allows me to practice without spending a ton of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment