Friday, April 11, 2014

Mongolian Beef

I don't like Asian food, but the Hubbs does.  While I was at the store Wednesday, I picked up a package of beef tips.  Mongolian beef is typically made with sliced strips of flank steak.  But this works and he enjoyed it.  Friday's are my Hubbs's short day at work.

You've gotta start out with two tablespoons of vegetable oil, one egg, and one teaspoon of cornstarch.
Then mix them all together.
Pour it over the top of the meat in a gallon sized bag.  And let it rest of an hour.
When that hour is nearly up, you're going to need to get a wok.
And 3 cups of vegetable oil (yeah, it's a little less than 3 cups, I ran out).
Add that to your wok and heat it up to 350 degrees.
Keep stirring it for three minutes.  Remove it from the oil and let it drain.  Discard this oil.
If you don't have a mortar and pestle, just use the back of a spoon.  This is two peeled garlic cloves and a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Now, grind it up.
You're going to need three tablespoons of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of sugar, and a teaspoon of ground pepper.
Put the wok back on the stove and heat up two tablespoons of oil.
Add the garlic to the wok.
Then the meat again.
Cook this for three minutes.  Now add the soy sauce and the sugar (I know, sugar, I'm not too crazy about this amount either).
Now keep stirring it for 4 minutes.
After that, serve it atop some rice.
I sprinkled some crushed red pepper across the top.

The Hubbs really liked it.  I adapted this recipe from a Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment