Friday, April 4, 2014

Laundry Soap DIY

I've made my own laundry soap since we moved into our house in 2011.  It's super easy.  I usually only have to make it once a year and it costs around 20 dollars.  That's not bad.  It would cost less than 20 but I buy a bottle of smelly-good things to put in it.  According to my container, the last time I made this was in June of last year.  That's nearly 10 months and I wasn't completely out yet.

You're gonna need:
1 box of Borax
1 box of Super Washing Soda
2 boxes of baking soda (or one if you can find a big box)
2 bars of laundry soap
1 bottle of smelly-good things
1 container of oxyclean (off brand if you can find it)
1 metal grater (I do not use this one for cooking)
1 container
1 spoon

The original recipe that I found called for half of a container of OxyClean.  I just add the whole thing.

First, add everything to the container except the bars of soap.
Here comes the part that takes a few minutes.  Grate the soap.
Now stir it all up and make sure it's evenly distributed.
I keep mine in a glass cookie jar over my washer. And I kept the little blue cup from the OxyClean to measure it out with.
Why, yes, that is wood paneling in my laundry room.  Ha.  I usually use a little less than a whole scoop per load, even when I do a load on super.

What kinds of things do you make homemade around your house for cleaning?




2 comments:

  1. I go even further. I love the way the blue bottle of Purex Crystals smell I haven't bought it in a while. I make my own Crystals without the coloring. :) Ill send you the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete