Saturday, April 19, 2014

Empanadas and Mexican Rice

Mexican food is really something I can sink my teeth into.  My Hubbs's love affair with Chinese food is similar to my love for Mexican.  Tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, empanadas, doesn't matter.  Yum.  So I decided that after two nights of Chinese food, we were gonna have something that I wanted to eat.

Don't get me wrong, the Hubbs loves Mexican too.  But not as much as he loves Chinese.

The only Mexican food we make at home is tacos or nachos usually.  What I really want is to learn to make my own tortillas.  That way I can make some up and freeze them.  Yum!

Okay.  So onto the recipe. This recipe is comprised of two parts: the crust and the filling.
For the crust, I got the recipe from here. I did not use her filling recipe.
You're going to need:
1/3 cup of finely shredded cheese (I used a Hot Habenero block that I got on closeout)
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 of vegetable shortening
3/4 warm milk (I microwaved it for 20seconds)
1 egg
I used the paddle attachment and the dough hook for my stand mixer.
Attach the paddle and add the flour, cheese, salt, and baking powder.
Mix until combined and then add the lard.  Mix until no chunks can be seen.
Create a well in the bowl and add the warm milk.
Mix until a ball is formed.  If it's still too sticky, add a little more flour.  I had to add about 3 more tablespoons.
Set it aside while you prepare the filling.
For the filling, you'll need:
8 ounces of ground meat (I used beef and turkey)
1/4 cup of mushrooms
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder

Heat up the oil in a skillet and add the garlic.
Once they start to slightly brown, add the mushrooms. Cook until soft.
Add in the meat.
And the spices.
Cook until it's all brown. I know, I know.  You're thinking that's way more meat than what I started with, and you're right.  I had some already cooked ground beef and it was in the freezer, so I added it as well.
Set it aside and let it cool.
You're gonna need 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
Once the meat is cooled, add the cheese to it and mix.
Now get your dough ball.
And divide it into four pieces.
Roll each out into a circle and cut using a 3 inch cutter.
Using the egg from earlier, brush the upper edges with it and fill with meat.
Don't overfill like I did.  It'll just make it hard on yourself.  Once it's folded, crimp the edges with a fork and put on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Brush the tops with the remaining egg.  This made about 25 empanadas.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until brown on 375 degrees.
Let cool.

While those are in the oven, you can make your Mexican rice.  I got this recipe from here, and made one or two changes.
You'll need:
1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/2 cup of salsa
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
Add it all to a pot, bring to a boil, and let simmer for 20-22 minutes. Stirring occassionally.
I know this tutorial was LONG, and I apologize.
But look at the delicious food!

The website says that it'll make 38 empanadas.  Well, it made about 25.  We ate 10 and I put the others in a freezer bag for quick snacks.  I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!  If you don't want any heat, feel free to leave out the cayenne additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment