Sunday, April 20, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuits

I've been posting lots of lunch and dinner options, but no breakfast options.  And breakfast is just as important as all those other meals.  So I decided that I'd make buttermilk biscuits to go with some fresh strawberries this morning.  Excuse the pictures.  It's kinda hard to take great pictures when your hands are covered in dough. :/  This isn't my momma's recipe.  She doesn't have a specific recipe, and she uses Self-Rising flour, where I use All-purpose.  So, I found an Alton Brown recipe (my culinary hero). :)

These were delicious with breakfast this morning and I wish that I'd taken pictures with the strawberries, but, man, I was hungry. Ha.

So, you're gonna need:
2 cups of flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
2 tablespoons of vegetable shortening (I put mine in the freezer so it would be super cold)
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of cold buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon salt
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a bowl.
Then add the butter and shortening.
Break it all up, quickly, into a fine crumb mixture.
Create a well, add the buttermilk.
Mix until it just comes together.
Turn it out on a floured cutting board and turn it into itself 5 or 6 times (Alton says no more than that). Flatten it into a rectangle.
I cut mine into squares because the more you kneed, the tougher the dough gets.
It makes way more than 5, but I put the others in the freezer.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until brown on top.
They'll just about double in size.
Enjoy warm.  I ate this biscuit with blackberry and raspberry preserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment