Monday, April 28, 2014

Baked Egg Rolls

Again, with the Chinese food?!  I know, I know.  But I'm seriously trying to make my husband eat at home.  I'm tired of take out.  Ugh...  I'm hoping that the power stays on long enough for me to type this (and for the oreo cheesecakes in the oven to get done) because we're currently under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and a Tornado Watch.

This recipe is actually two parts.  The first is the egg rolls themselves, the second is the simple dipping sauce I made to dip them in.

You'll also notice that these are baked instead of fried.  I'm trying to eat healthier (even if the Hubbs hates it) so that I can lose weight before we TTC.  Okay, onto the recipe.  Also, I can't find the website where I got this recipe from, so if you think I stole your recipe, I'm sorry!

First, you're gonna need:
1 1/2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons of water, and 1 teaspoon of corn starch.
Mix that together and set aside.
Now, you're gonna need, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, 2 garlic cloves minced, 1 whole grated carrot, a package of cabbage slaw.
Add the oils and garlic to the pan and saute until it starts to brown.
Add the chicken.
Add the soy sauce mixture.
Then the ginger.
Cook for a few minutes, just until the chicken starts to brown.
Then add in the carrots.
And the slaw.  Cook until the slaw just starts to become translucent but not mushy.
Now you're ready to assemble.  Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the center of the egg roll.  Roll it over once, tuck the ends, lightly wet the top edge, and then roll to complete.



I sprayed the top of mine with olive oil.  You're more than welcome to fry these as they are done traditionally, but I wanted to save on the calories and fat.
For this, you'll need: 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of olive one, a teaspoon of ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
Add them all to a bowl.
And mix.

 I really hope you enjoy these!

No comments:

Post a Comment