Sunday, April 27, 2014

Apple Cake and Why You Shouldn't Throw Things Out

Okay, I'm not saying you should never throw things away.  I mean, you don't need to keep every piece of garbage.  You've probably got no use for those meat scraps.  Veggie scraps and paper can be composted.  Plastic can be recycled. Glass jars can be reused as containers.  There's not a lot that just HAS to be thrown away.  So what I don't understand is why people throw things away that are just the tiniest bit damaged.

As we were coming home today, I noticed that my neighbors had a whiteboard leaned up next to their recycling bin.  I walked over to inspect it and realized that the only thing wrong with it is that the frame is a little broken.  Seriously?  With a little glue and some WD40, it'll be good as new.  I'm okay with them throwing it out only because it means almost new whiteboard for me.  Now, onto what you really came here for.

This apple cake is traditionally made for Mabon (a Pagan sabbat).  However, I make it year around.  Part of me regrets the first time I made it because now just about EVERYONE wants one for EVERY family function.  Argh.  But it is delicious.  I found this on this website, but made a couple tiny changes.

Every time I make this recipe now, it makes me think of one of the sweetest women that I've ever met.  When I started the Psychology program at the University of Phoenix, the very first person I met was a woman named Ms. Betty.  I was worried at first that we wouldn't get along, but she quickly became one of my favorite people in the world.  However, just before we started our 400 level classes, she moved to Arizona to be with her kids.  I miss her dearly and class just isn't the same without her.  But, man, did she love this cake.  So, this tutorial is for you, Mama Betty!

First, you're gonna need about four or so cups of peeled, chopped apples. Set them aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, you're gonna put two cups of sugar (or sugar substitute).
You'll need a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt, three eggs, and a tablespoon of vanilla.
Add the eggs to the mix and beat them well.
Next add the salt and baking soda.
Then the vanilla.
Now cut up two sticks of butter and put them in a microwave save container.  Microwave until melted.
You'll need one cup of melted butter.
 Add it to the sugar mixture.
Now, you're gonna need three cups of flour.  I used unbleached white wheat flour.
Keep mixing as you add flour.  This mixture is going to be VERY thick.  It's not like a thin, easily pourable cake batter.
Add your apples, all of them, and mix thoroughly.
Now scrape it into a greased baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
When the cake is done, you're gonna poke holes all over the top of it.
Put two sticks of butter in a pot.
Melt it up.
While it's still melting, get a cup of brown sugar, a tablespoon of vanilla, and 1/3 cup of evaporated milk.
Add the brown sugar and the cream.
Whisk it until it's all incorporated.
Add the vanilla and whisk some more.
Now you're gonna pour it over the top of the cake.
 Refrigerate and enjoy when chilled.

The best time to make this for me is when I can get the apples from our local orchard. Mmm... Come on Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment