Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Red" Velvet Cupcakes: No Smurfs were harmed.

I had planned to make tonight's post about organizing your refrigerator. But...  I had a classmate request red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing from me.  I know that you're going to be upset over missing out on the refrigerator talk, but I'll make it up to you by doing a tutorial for these.

But first!  This was gonna be the start of my fridge post:
Isn't it pretty?  All nice and clean and neat. Ha.
Okay, onto the cake:
I got this recipe from A Sue Chef.  I only used the batter recipe from here.  Also, I am not doing a tutorial for the icing because it didn't turn out well and I need to try a new recipe.
First, you're gonna need:
2 1/2 cups of AP flour
2 cups sugar
1 TBSP cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup full fat buttermilk
1 TBSP vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 oz. red food coloring
You're also gonna need a mixer with a whisk attachment:
Put the eggs in the bowl and whisk them:

Now add the rest of the liquid ingredients, except the food coloring:
 Whisk it until the buttermilk and oil are no longer separated.
Now add the food coloring:
I know what you're thinking, that's not red.  And you're right.  I was out of red.  So they're blue velvet, whatever. Ha.

Now in a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients.

Mix  them together:
Add them to the liquid:

Mix that all up:
Make sure you've put paper or foil cups in a muffin tin and add the batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Once they're done, let them cool and frost them.

They are delicious.  But I'm gonna try out a different icing recipe next and I'll tutorial that.

Oh, and I made these cupcakes for school and work yesterday:









No comments:

Post a Comment