Thursday, March 13, 2014

Minnie Mouse Cake: Part One

I know that some people are probably wondering where the magic happens.  Well here it is.  The above picture is where I bake and cook every little delicious morsel that comes out of my kitchen. It's small, but suits me just fine.  That cabinet that is not white is a pull out countertop that my dad built.  It is where I keep my small appliances (food processor, spice grinder, toaster, and immersion blender) and all of my pans for baking.

Another note for this cake: It uses a lot of eggs.  I used a dozen Extra Large eggs.  DON'T THROW AWAY THE SHELLS.  Wash them, put them in a jar.  I'll show you what to do with those as soon as my egg jar is full.  If you look in the picture above, my egg jar is next to my sink.


I was asked by a friend a few weeks ago to bake her daughter's birthday cake.  I have since spent the last few weeks teaching myself how to make fondant (which I decided not to use for the cake), learning how to bake a flat cake, how to make vanilla white cake and vanilla icing, how to dye the icing, and how to properly frost and stack a tiered cake.  Wooh...  But I got this.

This is the cake I made.  I don't think it's bad for a first try.


I found the recipe for the cake batter here.  I did not use the icing recipe located their, though.

Because this cake requires a lot of steps, I will not being doing it as one blog post.  I will be doing it as four, despite my baking it all today.

The three steps are going to be:
Baking the Cake
Making the Icing and Filling
Stacking and Icing

I'll add a link to each of those as I complete them.

First, you're gonna separate the yolks and whites from five eggs.
Then you're gonna add one whole egg to this mix.
 Next, add in 1/4 cup of whole milk.
Then 2 and 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla.
Now mix that all up.
Sit it aside.
Now in the bowl of a stand mixer add 3 cups of cake flour and 2 cups of sugar.
To this add 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of baking powder plus 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
Stir it on the stir setting for 30 seconds.
Next you're going to add 12 tablespoons of butter, cut into 24 equal pieces.  Add one piece in every ten seconds to make a fine crumble.
Next you're going to want to add 3/4 cup of whole milk.
Mix until it all comes together.
Now, you're going to add the egg mixture into the batter in three parts.
(I don't have a picture of that because I only have two hands.)
Now, if you have a food scale, separate the batter into two equal parts into two round baking pans.
And put them in the oven.  
NOTE: (From the original website) Put them in for 20 minutes and don't check them until the timer going off. Insert a toothpick and if it doesn't come out clean, put them back in for 5 more minutes (keep doing 5 minutes until they're done.



Those purple things around the pans are Bake Even Strips from Wilton.  Most of the pans, utensils, and icing tips I use are all Wilton products.  I love them.  The Bake Even Strips help the cake to bake more evenly instead of having the hump in the middle.





No comments:

Post a Comment