Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cajun Chicken Alfredo and Soft Baked Bread Sticks

My Hubbs is a pasta eating machine.  He could eat pasta and Chinese for nearly every meal and never get tired of it.  I have to eat other food occasionally.  His favorite thing to eat is Cajun Chicken Pasta.  He loves the stuff.  He ate all of his portion and half of mine when I made this last night.  So I'm assuming it's good. :)  But I may be a little biased on how my food tastes. ;)

You'll need:
A package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (trimmed and all the gross parts removed)
1-3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
4-6 ounces of uncooked pasta
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup powdered Parmesan
1 teaspoon garlic powder


 First, get the oil, Cajun seasoning, chicken, plastic bag (gallon size), and a cutting board.
Get all the nasty bits (blood, veins, fat, etc.) off the chicken and slice it into small strips.
Now put all of this in the plastic baggie.  Along with 1-2 tablespoons of the Cajun and the olive oil. 
Set it aside.





Start your pasta according to package directions.
Get a skillet.  Biggest you've got and heat it up.
Put your chicken it in and cook until done.  I had to do mine in batches because I made too much chicken.
It's a terrible picture.  Yuck.  But you get the idea.

Now that your chicken is done, check your pasta.  If it's also done, drain it and set it aside.

Get a pot.
In that pot put the butter and melt it. Don't make it bubble up like this.  My pot was too hot.
Add the cream.
Don't let it boil, but let it get hot.  Now you're gonna add the garlic powder and both cheeses.
Whisk until it's all melted together.
Put your pasta and chicken in the bigger pot.  Pour this over the top.  Stir it together.  And serve.  Yum.











But wait... I made bread too!

I found this recipe here.
You're gonna need:
For the dough:
1 package of Active Dry Yeast
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/2 cups of flour
3 tsp of salt

For the butter:
1 stick of butter
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
 Put the yeast into the water with the sugar.  Wait about 5 minutes.
 Put it all in the bowl of your stand mixer, and using the dough hook, start mixing.
It should look something like this.  Let it kneed for 3 minutes.
Once it's done, turn it out onto your counter (I could have take a more up close photo, but I wanted to show off my dad's work).
Now cut it in half.
Cut each of these halves into 8 equal pieces.
(We didn't need 16 breaksticks so I rolled them all out and put 8 in a freezer bag). Roll them into about 5 inch logs.
Cover them up and let them rise for an hour.
Put them in a 400 degree preheated oven for 6 minutes.
While they're baking, put the butter in a small pot and melt it.
Once it's mostly melted, add the garlic and salt.
Stir and sit aside.
Once the six minutes is up, brush the tops of the breadsticks with the garlic butter and put them back in the oven for 6 minutes.
As soon as they come out, brush them all with butter again.

Enjoy!

Got an idea for a craft, recipe, or want to show me something you've made? Send me an e-mail at homemadetohappiness@yahoo.com and it might just make it on to a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment