Monday, March 31, 2014

Better than Boxed?

I know I've left you guys hanging for a few days.  I'm so sorry!  The Hubbs was off all weekend so we just lazed around the house and played World of Warcraft while watching Supernatural on Netflix.  :)  But now I'm back!  :) Yay!

Fun stuff that's happened over the weekend:
1. Most of my sprouts that I thought were doomed have perked back up.  Yay!
2. My carrots have finally sprouted.
3. My garlic is looking awesome!
 4. We ate way more beef these week than we usually do.  I usually only eat beef once every two weeks.  But this week we did a try to eat the stuff in the fridge and freezer before it goes bad.  And I bought 3.2lbs of ground beef this week at the store because it was on sale.  So we've had tacos, hamburgers, and not hamburger helper.  My tummy isn't really liking all this beef.

5.  I made BBQ stuffed baked potatoes last night and they were delicious.

          - For the stuffed potatoes: I cut a russet potato down the middle, but not all the way through, then cut slits at an angle across that, rub with olive oil and wrap in foil.
          - Bake at 400 degrees for 80 minutes.
          - While that bakes, boil some chicken.
          - When the chicken is done, let it cool and then shred it and mix it with BBQ sauce, 1 tsp of onion powder, and 1 tsp of garlic powder.
          - When the potatoes are done, press them until they open, stuff them with the chicken and whatever else you want.  We use bacon, cheese, and fried onions.  Pop them back in the oven under broil until the cheese melts.  Then enjoy.

Okay, so tonight's tutorial is gonna be about cheeseburger macaroni.  No, not the kind you get in a box.  The stuff in the box is full of ingredients that you probably don't need to eat.  And, besides that, homemade is always better.

I found the recipe here.  But have tweaked it just a little.
Notes:
- Definitely need to add more garlic powder.  At least an extra teaspoon.  But that's because we LOVE garlic, the recommended amount may be enough for you.
- Needs at least 3 cups of cheese.  I added the stated 1 cup, but then added another handful of cheese I had in the fridge.
- I omitted the sugar and salt from the recipe.
- I used an entire box of Hidden Veggies Twisted Noodles because I was making food for tonight for me and the Hubbs, his lunch for work, my dinner at school, and a bowl to take to my mom and dad (because I'm the awesome daughter).
- If I add more cheese next time, I'll have to increase the liquid a little.  Probably by adding an extra 1/2 cup of water or milk.

Okay. Now on to the recipe.

 First, you're going to need to brown about a pound of hamburger meat.  When it's done, drain the fat off.
While it cooks, get the rest of the ingredients together.
2 cups of milk
1 cup of hot water
1-3 cups of cheddar cheese
1-2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp paprika
1 TBSP cornstarch
pepper and salt to taste
1 box of noodles
Once the meat is done and drained, add in everything except the cheese. (Still a lot of visible fat, blame the Hubbs, he drained it).
 
Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat so it'll simmer.
Once the pasta is done and the liquid is mostly evaporated, turn off the heat, add the cheese, and stir until melted.
Stir it all up.  Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie.
You can't really tell the difference between this and the boxed stuff. 
Plus, it didn't take that much more time than the boxed stuff does.
Do you rely on boxed dinners?

No comments:

Post a Comment