Friday, March 7, 2014

Beef and Barley Stew

Yum.  My tummy is warm.  I made beef and barley stew tonight.  No recipe to link to, this is mine entirely.

You will need:
1-2lbs of stew meat
1 1/2 cups of barley
6-8 cups of broth
4 large carrots (cut into rounds)
3 large ribs of celery (cut up)
1-2 cups of mushrooms (cut up)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 whole onion (white)
1tbsp olive oil
1tsp parsely
1tsp thyme
black pepper
First you need to pat your stew meat dry.

Add the olive oil to the dutch oven/pot on medium heat

Add the meat

Once it starts browning, add some fresh cracked black pepper

Once the meat is browned, remove it from the pot.
Don't you dare wash the pot.

Now mince up your garlic, a whole onion, carrots, and celery

Add those to the pot and start to brown/soften them.

Next, chop up those mushrooms. 
(I bought sliced mushrooms and rough chopping them)

Add those to the pot and stir.

Chop up those potatoes and add them to the pot.
(I used peeled, Russet baking potatoes.)
(I also forgot to take a picture of them before they went in.)

Typically you'd use beef broth.  But I prefer these.
I added 3 cups of each and stirred.

Add the beef back to the pot with the broth.

Add the 1 1/2 cups of barley.

Stir it all in and put the lid on the pot.
Let it boil away for about 30 minutes.
At that point, I added another cup and a half of broth.
It was a little too dry.


All done!
But wait!  
I made buttered croutons to go on top.
I didn't document this process because it's so easy.
Takes 3 pieces of bread (I use wheat) and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
Melt 2tbsp of butter.
Put the bread in a plastic baggie, pour the butter over that.
Add 1-2tbsp of each of the following:
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Lemon Pepper
Mix them up in the bag.
Put on a flat pan and bake at 400 until your desired crunch is reached.
(We did about 5 and a half minutes)

Now it's ready.

The only thing I will do different next time is to maybe add a little red pepper because I felt like it needed some heat. This recipe could also easily be made vegetarian by omitting the beef and only using veggie broth.

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment